Church Of St. Andrew
CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW
By Zeba Akhtar
Built in 1575 by the Portuguese, the Church of St. Andrew happens to be one of the oldest churches in the hood of Bandra.
This beautiful architectural wonder has stood a long test of time and has eventually emerged victorious. Ever since its inception, it has withstood major calamities. The church had to bear the atrocities of the terrible cyclone of 1618. After that, it was invaded upon by the Marathas towards the end of the Mughal rule during the year 1739.
After this, the Church underwent a couple of repairs in the year 1764 and thereafter.
The Church stands for a symbol of the advent of Christianity in the hood of Bandra and because of its heritage attracts devout people from all over.
The altar of the church is pretty high and reaches as far as the ceiling. It houses a statue of Sacred Heart, Our Lady, and St. Andrew. Later on smaller statues of St. John The Baptist, St. Sebastian and Bom Jesu were also put up. This lofty church also houses a mini museum in the midst of its choir loft. The front façade of the building has a small hole or rather an aperture. It was created with the intent of letting in sunlight from the rising sun into the Church.
The compound of the Church also houses one of the largest and the oldest crosses in the whole of Mumbai and is a heritage in itself.
With a vision to build communities over a period of the past 400 years, the Church also holds an annual fair called the Adrean Fair. This year the fair took place on the 27th, 28th and 29th of November.
The Church is currently celebrating its 400th year, which begins with a solemnistic Eucharistic rally on the 22nd of November, the Feast of Christ The King. The fair is a celebrated event and receives major footfalls mostly from Bandra hooders.
To be a part of the solemn and pure experience of the Church you can visit one of the masses. The Sunday masses at the Church of St. Andrew deserve a special mention.
- Living Local